The sofa is, one may say, the center of the home universe. They sleep on it, relax in front of the TV, play with children and pets, welcome guests, eat and drink. That is why housewives often have a question about how to clean the sofa. After all, it should always be "in shape." The most characteristic problems that this piece of furniture faces are dust, stains and unpleasant odor. To cope with them will help our advice.
Getting rid of dust
The sofa is such a kind of dust collector. Its extensive soft padding contributes to the settling of dust and its unobstructed deep penetration. Began to notice that as soon as you sit on the sofa, you begin to sneeze? This means that it is time to clean it from dust. But even if your nose does not react to dust, cleaning is still required. Otherwise, dust mites will still get you sooner or later, "organizing" an allergy. What can we say, if there are children in the house. For them, it is doubly dangerous.
This is good if you regularly wipe the surface of the sofa with a damp cloth, but not enough. Every six months it is necessary to thoroughly "shake" it, removing the dust that has lodged in the depths. This can be done in two ways - using a beater for carpets or a vacuum cleaner.
We regularly wipe the sofa with a damp cloth, a little less - global cleaning!
Knock out. You can simply work as a beater, removing dust from the sofa bowels. But in this case, it will rise up, and then it will begin to settle on the surrounding objects and your lungs. You can cover everything around with plastic, but it is better to cover the sofa with a damp sheet before knocking it out. Scrolling it in the washing machine in the "rinse + spin" mode, we get the ideal humidity. Still, too wet sheet is able to leave on the sofa upholstery ugly stains. After bedding, walk around the entire perimeter. Dust will be absorbed into the fabric, eliminating the need to cleanse it from the surrounding space.
Care for the light surface requires special care.
Vacuuming. Both the washing, and the ordinary vacuum cleaner approach. The higher the suction power, the better. In some models there is a special nozzle for cleaning furniture. This brush will help clean every millimeter upholstery. And in the corners it is better to work with a hose without a nozzle. You can also use a regular floor brush, but the quality of cleaning will, of course, be lower.
Vacuuming with a high suction power - one of the ways to do home cleaning of the sofa
It is necessary to apply an individual approach depending on the fabric from which the upholstery is made. So, a vacuum cleaner is not recommended for a sofa made of velor. It can severely damage the pile. It is necessary to clean this fabric with a special brush for upholstered furniture. After that, moisten a microfiber cloth in a mild soap solution (dissolve the soap) and wipe the upholstery in the direction of the pile with it. Finally wipe the surface of the sofa with a dry towel.
Regularly cleaning the sofa from dust is also important because on the dusty surface stains remain after cleaning the stains. Imagine: someone from the household or guests accidentally planted a spot, you, to your great honor, brought him out, but in return received untidy blurry lines that marked its boundaries. It's a shame, right?
How to clean the "stained" sofa
Still, blemishes are a more common problem than divorce. The easiest way to deal with them with the help of the store means - Vanisha. It is diluted with water and whipped into the foam, which is applied to the problem area and rubbed with a brush. You need to wait 15 minutes - and see a wonderful result: everything is clean. However, using Vanish is a rather costly method. Therefore, you need to have in the arsenal of recipes for removing stains with the help of cheap home remedies. They are also quite effective, and their choice is affected by the origin of the spots.
- Coffee, tea, beer. In this case, you will need soap. Pollution slightly moistened (with a cloth or a soft sponge) and lather. Brush rub soap into the upholstery. After 10 minutes, gently remove the soap with a sponge dipped in warm water.
Shop tools, rags and sponges - an arsenal that will help return the sofa to its former look
- Blood. Do not use hot water. From her blood will enter even more. Dampen a sponge in cold water, remove the clot with it and rub the contaminated area with soap. Then rinse this place with cool water and wipe with a weak solution of vinegar (this is especially necessary if the sofa is light).
- Wine. Immediately blot the stain with a paper napkin or towel until it has spread out. Then sprinkle this place with salt. It absorbs moisture. After 10-15 minutes, brush the salt with a brush, and wipe the contaminated area with a cloth dipped in alcohol or vodka. After some time, it is necessary to treat the stain with soapy water and brush it again.
- Fat. Sprinkle with salt, soda or starch and wait a few minutes until the fat is absorbed. Then clean off the salt with a brush. Moisten the sponge in dishwashing liquid and wipe the soiled area thoroughly. After 15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
Dishwashing liquid is effective against fat stains.
- Ink. It can be washed with alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover. Moisten a cotton fleece in one of these products and wipe the pen marks. Try to clean the dirt with an eraser. Ink sometimes eats into leather upholstery so much that it is impossible to cope with them at home - dry cleaning is required.
- Urine. Very problem spot. Cleaning the sofa from urine is difficult, but possible. We act quickly. Blot the stain with a paper towel and blow dry. We treat the surface with an aqueous solution of shampoo or dishwashing detergent. Dry again. Then we prepare a weak solution of potassium permanganate and brush it on the sofa. Flush it is not necessary. For light sofas, this method of disinfection is not suitable.
- The remaining spots. In all other cases, it is recommended to use a solution of shampoo (or washing liquid), in which 10 drops of ammonia are added. Soiling them with pollution, wait 5-7 minutes, then rinse with a sponge dipped in warm water.
It is better to remove the spots immediately, without waiting until they become stale. Then much more effort will be needed, and a good result is not guaranteed. In addition, if you do not dry the stain right there, the spilled liquid can not only damage the upholstery, but also penetrate the depth of the sofa, where cleaning is problematic. Once absorbed, it can eventually become a source of unpleasant odor. And then throw away the sofa.
We remove the smell
If the amber is not very strong and nasty, let's try to save the sofa from it. What will help in this matter?
- Odor destroyer for cars. It is enough to “smother” them with spots and, just in case, the insides of the sofa.
- Cat litter. Especially suitable if you are wondering how to clean the sofa from the flock. Lavishly sprinkle balls all over the couch, toss a little inwards. After half an hour, the filler that absorbed the smell should be collected and discarded, and the sofa should be vacuumed out.
- Steaming It is great if you have a steamer, even better if it is vertical. It will also refresh the dull colors, clean the surface, and destroy small insects with bacteria, and kill the unpleasant smell. After wet processing, let the sofa dry before you start using it.
- Ventilation. Very simple and effective way. In the summer it is necessary to bring the sofa to the fresh air. A couple of days - and everything is in order.
- Dry cleaning Here furniture will be professionally processed from dirt and odors. Some car washes also take on this job. But the method is very costly - both in money and in time.
- Simple chemistry. Vinegar, citric acid, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide and salt are always ready to help.
In the fight against stains - the main time! Do not miss it, immediately start cleaning.
- How to clean the sofa with vinegar? Two tablespoons dilute it in a liter of water. Dampen a soft sponge or flannel cloth with this solution and wipe the sofa. Let it dry.
- Salt - the usual cooking or aromatic - scatter on the surface of the sofa. Leave for half a day so that it absorbs the smell. Then sweep the salt.
- Salt in this recipe can replace freshly ground coffee, tea bags of black or green tea. Let the sofa with such an odor absorber stand for two days.
- For a leather sofa, you need to prepare a warm soap solution with the addition of a tablespoon of ammonia. Wipe them upholstery, then rinse with warm water and wipe dry with a towel. After drying, the sofa will delight you with freshness.
It remains to say a few words about such specific contaminants as animal hair and chewing gum. Wool is removed using rubber gloves or a damp cloth. And apply ice cubes to the gum and wait for it to harden. After that, hook it with a knife and separated from the upholstery.
In order not to suffer so much with the removal of stains and odor, it is better to take preventive measures: to cover the sofa with a veil or plastic film. And the better and the one and the other.